- Rotate ice bags on your face to reduce swelling, 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off for the first 24 hours.
- After 24 hours of ice replace the ice with moist heat if it is needed.
- Clotting is a part of the healing process. Do not spit, use a straw, or smoke; doing any of these could dislodge the clot, resulting in more bleeding or a dry socket.
- We ask you to bite (do not chew) on a moist gauze pad (you can also bite on a clean cloth or a damp tea bag if gauze is not accessible) to help the clot form. If you continue to bleed, bite on the gause for 30-45 minutes.
- Your saliva may be streaked with blood for a few days. This is normal after an extraction.
- You should comsume a soft or liquid diet for 24 hours.
- Avoid hot, cold, or spicy foods
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- If you become bruised, swollen or stiff, don't panic. This is normal after any surgery.
- First of all, your lips and tongue my be numb for several hours after the appointment. Avoid any chewing and hot beverages until the numbness has completely worn off. It is very easy to bite or burn the numb area.
- It is normal to experience some hot, cold, and pressure sensitivity after your appointment.
If any pressure sensitivity persists beyond a few days or if hot or cold sensitivity increases call our office.
Please note: Deeper cavities will be more sensitive and if pain persists a root canal may be indicated.
After Crowns or Veneers:
- Temporary Crowns: After your first crown appointment you will receive a temporary crown. Avoid sticky foods and pull the floss down through the contact, not up. If it comes off, place a dab of Vaseline in the temporary crown and put it back on the tooth. Then call us and schedule a time to put the temporary back on. Please understand, if you keep it off for too long, your permanent crown may not fit.
- Your numbness may persist after your injection for several hours. Stiffness and some bruising may occur. Simply apply ice to ease the discomfort.
Please follow these home care instructions carefully and call our office at 281-492-6064 if you have any questions or concerns.