Porcelain Dental Crowns are realistic looking dental restorations that are used to "Cap" off a tooth that was previously damaged by decay, an accident, or normal wear. A crown is used in the event that dental fillings, inlays or onlays are not sufficient to restore and protect the tooth. Crowns cover the whole tooth and the color of the crown is selected to match the color of existing teeth for a beautiful fit.
At Harrison & Bethke Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we are able to provide same-day dentistry to our patients. In most cases, we can provide a dental crown, Inlays, Onlays, and other restorations in one appointment. This is convenient for patients so they don't have to take more time off from work or other activities they need to be at. In the past, all dental restorations were fabricated in a dental lab. Today, we have the ability to create many of the restorations here in our office.
Dental Crowns are generally needed in the following situations:
- Old Filling Has Failed - In the event that an old filling has failed, sometimes if the tooth needs to be prepared for a new restoration, we have to take out too much tooth structure to allow for another filling. In this case, it might be necessary to place a crown.
- Tooth Decay - If tooth decay is sufficient enough, we will use a crown to provide adequate strength and support for normal activities, such as chewing food.
- Large, Unsightly Fillings - Large, Silver Amalgam fillings are not only liable to break, they also draw attention to your mouth. Many patients opt to have the larger, silver fillings removed and replaced with a strong, great looking porcelain dental crown.
- In Case of Root Canal - When root canal therapy is performed, the crown of the tooth needs to be removed to gain access to the infected canal. A new crown is placed on top of the tooth to strengthen the tooth and restore the function and cosmetic appearance of the tooth.
- Dental Emergencies - Having a dental emergency is the last thing anyone wants to deal with. In the event of a tooth breaking, it's important to fix it right away so it doesn't get infected, as well as break any further. Although some patients may way to come to the office, if they are not in pain, it is important to get in to the dentist right away to avoid any further damage.
- Cosmetic Dentistry - Dental Crowns may also be used to enhance the look of your teeth. If you have teeth that you feel uncomfortable with, come visit us for a Cosmetic Consultation.
If you have any questions, please call us at 281-492-6064.